Press Release - Measures for Prevention of Ragging - 2021-2022
A meeting of the Proctorial Board of the University of Delhi was held on 18th November, 2021 to deliberate upon measures for facilitating smooth induction of students during the opening of new academic session 2021-22. Officials from Delhi Police and Senior officials from the University of Delhi were present. A number of important decisions were taken in the meeting to ensure maintenance of discipline and prevention of ragging in the University and College campuses. In this connection, the Colleges and Departments have been requested to strictly enforce the rules and regulations issued from time to time, and especially the provisions of Ordinances XV-B, XV-C, and The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013 (14 of 2013) available at http://wcd.nic.in/wcdact/ womenactsex.pdf
Following specific measures were discussed which need to be taken up during academic session 2021-22 are:-
- The Hon’ble Supreme Court judgement on ragging have to be strictly followed by all concerned. All students/hostel residents as well as their parents/guardians have been asked to give an undertaking to this effect at the time of admission to respective Colleges/Departments/ Centres/Halls/Hostels as per web portal (http://www.antiragging.in)
- The University will set up two Joint Control Rooms, one each in the North and South Campus (North Campus Tel. No. 27667221 and South Campus Tel. No. 24119832), beginning from 22nd November, 2021 till 26th November, 2021.
- The Anti-Ragging Posters in English and Hindi have been installed at the strategic locations in North and South Campuses of D.U.
- Colleges/Centres/Hostels have been requested to restrict the entry of outsiders, and to prominently display rules regarding prohibition of ragging in their respective institutions.
- All Colleges/Faculties/Departments/Hostels have been requested to form Anti-ragging/ Disciplinary Committee & Vigilance Squad taking help of NCC/NSS students volunteers wherever possible to monitor ragging.
- Placing of police pickets outside every college with special assistance being provided to women colleges. Any acts of indiscipline, ragging will be dealt with strictly under the University’s Statutes, Ordinances, which give legal authority to Principals/Heads/Directors/ Provosts/Wardens to take preventive as well as punitive action, wherever required. Police assistance will be sought whenever situation warrants direct intervention by them.
- Patrolling has also been enforced to monitor and to take speedy action in case of any untoward incident in the Campus.
- Delhi police has assured that women police in plain clothes will be deployed in the University as well as outside the premises of each college. In case of any ragging or eve teasing, the police will take care of the offenders. Students desirous of paying guest accommodation must ensure that their PG is duly verified by the local Police since all such PGs are regularly monitored by area Police for proper safety and security of the student residents.
- Police officials were requested to highlight steps for receiving ragging complaints, as detailed below. Authorities were apprised with the ragging online. They were suggested to report the complaint to the Cyber Crime. The UGC has formulated strict guidelines to curb the menace of ragging which was given on their web site www.ugc.ac.in. As per “UGC regulations on curbing the menace of ragging in higher educational Institutes, 2009”, the Principal/Head/Provost shall during the first three months of an academic year, submit weekly report on the status of compliances with Anti-ragging measures under these regulations and monthly report on such status thereafter. The report can be sent by email to email@example.com.
RAGGING COMPLAINT MECHANISM
- Drop a written complaint in the complaint box in your college or
- Call 24X7 U.G.C. Anti-Ragging Helpline No. 1800-180-5522 (Toll – Free – 24x7), or
- Call Joint Control Room (North Campus) at 27667221, or
- Call Joint Control Room (South Campus) at 24119832, or
- Call 112, 100, or inform your nearest PCR van, or
PUNISHMENT FOR RAGGING
Suspension or Expulsion or Cancellation of Degree, Penal Action.
20th November, 2021