LOGO
University of Delhi
 
ACADEMICS >> Colleges >> Dyal Singh College (Evening)
 
 

ACADEMICS

 

Dyal Singh Evening College

Dr. Suman Sharma (O.S.D) (Principal)
College Address Lodhi Road,
New Delhi-110003
College Phone 24367658
College Fax 24369983
deepakmalhotra@dsec.in
dyalsingheveningcollege@yahoo.co.in
http://www.dsec.in
          Dyal Singh Evening College

About College

Dyal Singh College was founded in accordance with the Will of Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, one of the greatest sons of Punjab, at Lahore. Sardar Dyal Singh belonged to the Shergil of Gill clan of Sardars of Majitha village near Amritsar. He is also well known as the founder of ‘The Tribune’. Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia was a great philanthropist and lover of education. He was a man of great vision and action. For the cause of propagation of education with the motto ‘Gather ye the wisdom of East and West’, Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia donated all his worldly possessions. He wanted to generate a scientific outlook in the minds of the common people who suffered from blind faith and superstitions.

A great scholar, a nationalist and a patriot, Dyal Singh Majithia was one among the 17 ‘good men and true’ who decided in 1884 to found the Indian National Congress. He was very active in all progressive and social reform measures in Punjab, was the first President of the Indian Association of Lahore, and had a vision for education and culture. His vision is clearly reflected in his Will on the basis of which, after Independence, one college was established at Karnal and another at Delhi in the name of Dyal Singh Majithia, by late Dewan Anand Kumar, an eminent educationist and a former Vice-Chancellor of Punjab University.

The College at Delhi started as an Evening College in 1958 after taking over from the Punjab University (Camp) College which functioned in the evening hours. Dyal Singh Evening College has the distinction of being the first Evening College of the University of Delhi. A year later, Dyal Singh College started functioning in morning also. The management of the College was later taken over by the University of Delhi on 30th June 1978 and the College is now an institution wholly maintained and governed by the University of Delhi. Since 1994-95, the Evening College has become co-educational. At present girl students constitute over 37% of total strength of the College. The College has a highly qualified and experienced teaching faculty with scholars of international repute. The College has the unique distinction of teaching most of the classical and modern languages such as Sanskrit, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu and Tamil. In a humble manner, the College is trying to turn the lofty ideals of its great founder into a tangible reality.

The College complex is centrally located, adjacent to the Institutional Area, Lodhi Road. It has spacious lecture theatres, extensive lawns and big play-grounds. We have a heavy duty generator to augment the supply of electricity in the event of a power failure.

A new addition in the infra-structure of the college is the New Academic Block which comprises several class rooms, two Project Rooms for TTM and OMSP students, two Computer Labs and a ‘state of art’ Seminar Hall. A new Students’ Block too has become functional. The Block comprises rooms for Sports, Art & Culture, Union, etc. besides a Canteen and an Auditorium.

Governing Body

Ms. Shailaja Chandra, I.A.S(Retd.) (Chairperson) 26154565
F-6/3, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi-110057

Four Year Undergraduate Programme

Courses Offered