Gwyer Hall is the oldest and most prestigeous Men's Hostel in the Delhi University. It was founded in the year 1937 with 26 students and was called 'Law Hall'. It was restarted in 1941-42 and was called 'University Lodging House'. In the same year, construction of two wings of the building was completed, and 48 residents were admitted. Its name was again changed, this time from 'University Lodging House' to 'University Hall'. The building of the Hall was completed in 1948 and in that year, the 'University Hall' was renamed as 'Gwyer Hall' in recognition of the services rendered by Sir Maurice Gwyer, the then Vice-Chancellor of the University of Delhi (from 1938-52) and the Chief Justice of the then Federal Court of India. Sir Maurice Gwyer took a keen, personel interest in the construction of this Hall. The Hall has now 76 single -seated rooms and 12 double-seated rooms to accommodate 100 full-time postgraduate students and research scholars of the University. There is a seperate wing of the Hostel, called 'Fellows' Court'. The fellows' Court consisting of two Sections: Teachers Court (TC) and Doctors Court (DC), has accomodation for some University Appointed Teachers and a small number of Senior Research students of the University. Gwyer Hall is equipped with a modern Kitchen, Gymnasium and has two big beautiful lawns. It also has a Canteen, run on contract basis. The Hall has a few Guest Rooms.
Gwyer Hall is for Boys only and there are 100 rooms available for their residence .
Full-time Post Graduates and Research students are eligible for admission to this hostel.